Sunday, January 23, 2011

After PhD: Academia or Industry?

Being a PhD student, I quite often have thoughts about "what will I be doing after I finish my PhD?".
Well, the obvious answer for me is, I want work in California at a cool company like Google, and I'm doing my best to make that happen, but being that not so easy, I sometimes also think about other options (not meaning that the way to academia is easier).

I heard of this guy and read his article sometimes (even posted something about his post: Logging is your friend), but I noticed his blog kinda first time - seems like an amazing guy: Matt Welsh.
He's been a professor at Harvard, and he has decided to move to Google quitting his professor job.

And he has written some nice posts about how it's like being a kind-of one-of-the-highest-profile (man, professor at Harvard!) academia, and how it's like working as a software engineer at Google, and how he likes better at Google: (1)'Why I'm leaving Harvard' and (2)Day in a life of a Googler.
And one of his colleague professor has posted that how he likes his job as a professor: Why I'm staying at Harvard.

And just going through his blogposts, there are a lot more interesting stories about PhDs (1)Getting started as a PhD student (2)So, you want to go to grad school, and Facebook founder! (1)In defence of Mark Zuckerberg (2)How I almost killed Facebook.

...

Will the Brainy Smurf be happy
being an academic, or being in the industry
or will he be happy being an entrepreneur?

...

And also the already well-known PhD comics.
(image from here.)

No comments:

Post a Comment