Friday, October 22, 2010

Logging is your friend

Matt Welsh (a Harvard professor, working in Goolge for some months) posted this nice blog post about his experience working in Google.
Computing at scale, or, how Google has warped my brain

(Well, also a Berkeley professor Randy Katz did interview about his experience in Google, which was also very inspiring.
I guess working in Google is very inspiring isn't it?! I want to be inspired as well!!! >.< )

Anyway, apart from all those nice technologies he mentioned that he could use in Google (that we have no access to), the thing about having a cloud computing infrastructure and "Log first, ask questions later" is a really nice insight, I think.

Yeah, logging really is your friend, when you develop anything on cloud computing, even if you do on a small cloud computing infrastructure you've built (like me!).
I haven't quite realised until now the importance of loggin everything and also that of the unit testing.

They really are important because you have limited possibilities and options for debugging.
From now on, I'll insert logging code everywhere in my code, and keep doing unit testing...

No comments:

Post a Comment