Friday, September 3, 2010

Platform independence in Mac OS X

As OS, I'm using Mac OS X, Windows and Linux.
So, in choosing software programs, I prefer platform independence rather then any platform dependent software, as I do for choosing something for development.

And those platform-independent free or open-source programs are great in their features as well.
So, here are my platform independent software apps on my Mac OS X:

1) Picture management, import, viewing program:
I use Picasa instead of Mac OS X's iPhoto.


It's very good, with many extra features for photo editing, blogging, uploading on web albums, and further functionality like tagging, etc.
And it works very well on both Windows and Mac OS X.
I haven't tested it on Linux yet, but it is supposed to be working fine on Linux as well, as as far as I know it uses Wine to make the originally Windows program working on both Mac OS X and Linux.

2) Video playing, watching program:
As a Korean (mainly for reasons of subtitles for foreign movies), GOM Player was the (kind of - it would have been a lot better without all those adverts) best choice for video watching program, on Windows (only!).
Its very easy and intuitive user interface is very addictive!
And very good support for subtitles (of course especially Korean)!
But here is another option: MPlayer!
Works fine on Windows, Mac OS X and Linux.
On Mac OS X, I use MplaerX.

Nice, simple user interface with the convenient and intuitive interface (almost the same) as the GOM Player.
And no adverts!
The Korean subtitle just works!

3) Music playing program:
I don't quite like, or I didn't appreciate yet to this point, the complicated interfaces and functionalities of the iTunes.
On Windows, I very much liked the simple interface of the Winamp.
For OS-independence, and even better as an free-and-open-source program, there is:
VLC media player
It is actually a media player, not only for music but also for videos and streaming media, but I find MPlayer better for video and VLC media player better for music.
Well, MPlayer is also a media player, so that it plays music etc..., but that might be a personal preference.

4) Internet Browser
Firefox and Google Chrome.
I guess not so many words are needed for those.
There are pros and contras for each of those programs.
I quite like Google Chrome's extension sync function.

5) E-Mail and Contact management program
Thunderbird

There has been a time where it had some issues so that I preferred using Microsoft Outlook (Windows), Apple Mail (Mac OS X) and Evolution (Linux), but I think now it's so good that I'm using Thunderbird on all of those platforms.
And I think it's even better than the other e-mail and contact management programs mentioned above, because your contacts can be managed by one program for all.

6) IDE
Eclipse IDE.
I guess not so much word to say about it.
You can develop almost any language on it.
I've been posting about Eclipse IDE in this blog.

7) Virtualization
Quite often we need to run virtual machines, because there are some programs we need to run, which run only on specific OS.
I've posted about choices and aspects of virtualization programs in my previous post here.
I'm using VirtualBox.

7) Image editing program
Gimp is a very fine image editing program, runs on Windows, Mac OS X and Linux.
Some proprietary programs might be better, but it's free, open-source, and does the job for normal image editing use.

No comments:

Post a Comment