Friday, August 13, 2010

The Little Prince - Programmer's Version - Chapter 5, 6, 10, 11

...

Chapter 5.

The little prince asked all of a sudden.
"The code you wrote, doesn't have a memory leak, isn't it?"
"Yes, because in Java there is garbage collector. But why do you worry about memory leaks for such a simple program?"

The little prince answered: "Come on!" as it was so sure. So I had to think a lot about it.

The system, the little prince had, has many applications and programs running.
When they are really running, you need to leave them alone.

But when it's a bad program, you need to detach from the memory immediately.
The most scary ones were garbages (in case of C, those written to heap and not freed...), there is no way to remove them, when they are not freed immediately.
Unfortunately, the little prince's system is so small, that when a lot of garbages occupy the system, the actual important programs cannot be run.


Chapter 6.

...
At the fourth night, I knew a new fact. As you told me:
"I like releasing programs. Please distribute it to source-forge quickly."
"We need to wait..."
"Wait for what?"
"Until the program is composed completely".
You were surprised so much at first, but then soon you said laughing:
"I feel like I'm at home yet!"
Of course, it's hard to complete a program. Unfortunately, when a project is bigger or so, then it becomes harder to release a newer version. But you coded only simple programs so that you needed to compile only for a few minutes.

"One day I deed to revert 44 times!"
Then you said after a while,
"When I'm really sad, I recompile after modifying the code just a little bit".
"Were you so sad at the day you had to revert 44 times?"
But the little prince didn't answer.


Chapter 10.

...
So he decided to go to his neighbours first who had the same system.
The first network he visited was that of a chief programmer.
He was wearing a shirt and red tie, sat on the swivel Duoback chair.

"Oh, look, there comes a subordinate" the boss said seeing the little prince coming.
...
To the chief programmer everyone is subordinate.
The little prince yawned as he was very tired.
"So, little prince, you know that today you need to work late today as well, right?"
"But I'm too tired. It has been Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Friday, Friday for ever"
"Then you can go home early today. I guess it has been a while that you had went home at the right time. It a very interesting thing to watch, that you go home when your chief programmer is still working. So, try go home at the right time~"
"I'm sacred to go home at the right time after you say so"
"Hmm! Then there's no problem. Then you could go home..."
Then he gobbled. He looked like angry.
Because the chief programmer cared so much about the deadline.
So, it appeared impossible to him to go home early in an important time. Of course he thought of time so important so that the overnight working exists.
"When an important bug happened during debugging, and we got claimed from our customers, so they insisted, the manager need to be punished, is it my fault or your fault?"
"Of course it's your fault" said the little prince carefully.
"That's right. A perfect programming is based on perfect debugging. The bugs we can't reach, we can't do anything for it, but we need to do what we can do."

...

"I guess I need to leave here!" said the little prince.
"No, don't leave. I'll give you a new work to do." said the chief programmer became desperate.
"What kind of work to do..." said the little prince in vain.
"Catching bugs"
"Well... I caught all the bugs I could see"
"There was a request to fix the bug for the internet chatting program"
...
The little prince made his way after he made a sigh.
"Oh, that will not be good for your performance rating when you do that!" yelled the chief programmer in dignity.
(Adults are very odd) said the little prince to himself.


Chapter 11.

The place he visited second was that of a so called a master programmer out in the field.
"Oh! There comes one who get my superior distribution!" said the master programmer.
Master programmer happen to look at those people who use his distribution version with pitty.
...
"Do you really worship me?"
"What does ' to worship' mean?"
"'To worship' means that you write a reply like 'It's the best!' or recommend, because my creation is very superior and beautiful that you can't imitate with your ability"
"But no one uses the creation, isn't it?"
"Please make me happy! Please worship me!"
"I worship you." said the little prince (as he had no other choice.)
Then he made his way. 'The adults are weird" thought the little prince.


TO BE CONTINUED ...

No comments:

Post a Comment