Friday, September 24, 2010

The Little Prince - Programmer's Version - Chapter 12, 13, 14

---

The last post about this "The Little Prince - Programmer's Version",
which I saw originally in Korean version in here.
I contributed all of my translation to the Google Translate.

---

Chapter 12.

A debugger was living in the next planet.
It was a very short visit, but plunged the little prince into deep dejection.
"What are you doing?" said the little prince to the person who is typing with a bunch of code and comments.
"I'm debugging." He said somberly.
"Why do you debug?"
"To catch bugs." He said with his head bowed.
"Why do you catch bugs?"
"For a clean and beautiful program." he answered.
"Why do you code such a program?"
"That makes debugging easier!" answered the person and remained silent.
('Adults are very odd') told the little prince to himself.


Chapter 13.

In the 4th place the little prince visited, a file sharer was living.
He kept his head so close to the monitor so that he didn't raise his head as the little prince arrived.
"Hi, your noodle is overcooked." said the little prince watching the instant noodle on the desk.
"Those three files here and two files of torrent and adding the 10 files which I uploaded on rapidshare... hi. And 36 files to send to pirate bay... hu! So totally 512GB, and 1440 and one."
"What are 10000 pieces?"
"Oh, you're still there? I'm too busy ... when I add three to two"
"What are those million pieces?" asked the little prince again.
"The entrepreneur raised his head."
"I was disrupted only three times since I booted my computer in 25 December 2009. The first time was when the server was dead attacked from DDos, the second was because of my nerve aches, as I'm computing sitting in this position, and the third is... now!"
...
"What are you doing with those 10000 files?"
"What do I do?"
"Yes."
"I'm doing nothing. I own them."
"You own the files?"
"Yes."
"But according to the terms and conditions I saw before..."
"Companies don't own the contents. They . That's a very different story."
"But what is that good to you that you own those files?"
"My mileage raises."
"What is it good for that your mileage raises?"
"It's useful for downloading the other files in high-speed."
(He's talking like the debugger) thought the little prince.
...
"So, what do you do with those files?" asked the little prince.
"I keep those in my hard disk compressed. And then I do disk defragmentation continuously. That's a hard job".
The little prince was still not satisfied.
"I, I can do some calculations with Open Office, I can connect to the network with browser. But you can't do anything with your illegally obtained programs!"
"I won't. But I can share them."
"What does it mean?"
"I upload my files in file sharing sites compressed."
"And that's it?"
"That's it."
...
(Adults are very odd) mumbled the little prince to himself.


Chapter 14.

The fifth place he visited was a very interesting place.
There was a very huge computer and a programmer.
He was keeping making a patch of some game.
...
Approaching him, the little prince greeted him politely.
"Hi, that's a command." said the patch maker.
"What is a command?"
"That's creating a new patch. Here you go."
And then he handed over the overwritten USB.
"Why did you give me the USB again?"
"It's a command."
"I don't understand." said the little prince.
"Because command is a command. Here you go, the new version."
Then he wiped out his sweat and did coding hard.
"I've got a hard job. It was ok before. I just needed to redecorate some contents every month. Then the other times I needed to maintain them."
"Then did the game go wrong after that?"
"No, that it did not go wrong is the problem! Because the users are consuming contents faster and faster, my bosses wanted me to make patches continuously."
"So?"
"So the this game's contents change a little bit every minutes. For example the colour of the NPC changes a little bit.."
"That's odd! Your game is being patched continuously!"
"That's not odd at all. While we are talking, the new prototype of a new donjon was published." (That was because probably the computer was very good and there were a lot of those developers.)
"Already?"
...
The fact that he could not be in a blessed place was because 1440 version ups were possible in 24 hours, which was the little prince could not confessed even to himself.


No comments:

Post a Comment