Friday, August 6, 2010

The Little Prince - Programmer's Version - Chapter 2, 3, 4

Translated from the original Korean version,
which I saw here.

I started with Google Translate first, but I had to modify almost everything.
I contributed my translation back to Google Translate.


===


Chapter 2.

.....
By sunrise, a strange voice woke me. The voice said.
"Show me a sheep!"
"What?"
.....
"Do me a favor ... Draw me a sheep ..."
So I showed the following code.

printf ("Sheep. \ n");

Then he looked at carefully,
"Oh, no, you need to know include the amount of stdio.h." Said.
So I kindly showed the following code.

putchar ('S'); putchar ('h'); putchar ('e'); putchar ('e'); putchar ('p');

".. The code is too dirty, I wanted the amount of neat."

I need to continue debugging, because I wrote more impatient as follows.
Class Box:
Object sheep;
void peek ();
....
"That's a box class. The sheep you want can be called with peek() method."
But my younger supervisor saw a light break over the face, I was surprised.
"That's what I wanted! The peek () needs a lot of memory?"
"Why do you ask?"
"Because my computer is very old ..."
"It will be enough with which I gave you there. Because I used a basic data structure."

So I came to know the little prince.


Chapter 3
...
It took me long time to figure out what kind of system the little prince was using.
I knew it by listening to some commands he was saying sometimes.

For example, as he saw my iPad for the first time (I can not draw in ipad because of copyright issues...)
He asked:

"What is this thing?"

"It is not a thing. It's my iPad. iPad."

I proudly demonstrated that I can connect to werless net.

....
Then he shouted out loud.

"So you're one of the system programmers too! From what kind of developing environment are you from?"

As I heard those words, I felt like I caught a clue about his mysterious career.

....

After a while of silence he replied:
"That's good. Your class could be used in other applications as well."
"Of course. And remember, when you behave well, I'll code a method for you so that you can iterate the peek()."

"Iterating? Think it is very odd!"
"That would be annoying when you peek() every time!"
...
Then said the little prince, solemnly.
"That's fine. My system is a very small system."
And added in a somewhat lonely voice.
"It's effortless to call the method several times, because I cannot even use so much memory ..."

Chapter 4
....
I had a proof, that the system the little prince used was B612.
The system model was suggested by a Turkish computer scientist in 1999.
At that time, he showed to be a model that works well. However, his paper was written in a very ugly font that no one had no interest in the paper. ...
In 2009 he wrote it again in nice-looking IEEE type of paper, and everybody respected it.

The reason I tell this in detail because the adults. Adults like numbers.
Talking about a newly written program, they never ask about essential matters.

They don't say:
"How does the program work? What does the chip do? How does the chip look like?"

They ask:
"What's the capacity of the program? How much is the chip's price? How many second does the program to run?"

Then they think they have understood.

If we had told adults:
"RAM are stacked on the mainboard very beautifully, it had a very slim case.", then they don't understand.
We need to tell them: "We saw a computer with quad-core with 1T hard-disk drive!". Then they shout: "Oh, a really nice computer!"


===

to be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment